How To Wash My Hair Extensions?
We recommend you only wash them if they become difficult to manage or oily from too much product build-up. This can typically take anything from 15-20 wears or 20-25 wears depending on your styling methods.
Since your hair extensions are not exposed to natural oils from your scalp, it is not necessary to wash them often. The less you wash your hair extensions, the longer they’ll last. To extend the time between washes, try to minimize their exposure to styling products that will cause product build-up, like mousse, hairspray, etc.
You can wash your hair extensions in the same way as your own hair. Always use the shampoo first, then apply a generous amount of conditioners from top to bottom. The best way to dry your hair extensions is to let them air dry. It is highly recommended to use sulfate-free and alcohol-free hair products, as these ingredients can dry the hair. It is also good to use hair masks on your extensions from time to time to make sure they stay nourished and healthy.
How to Wash Your Extensions
You can wash all the wefts in one go by tying them together at the base with a hair-tie, or, for a more thorough approach, wash each weft individually. Follow the instructions below:
What you’ll need
Sulfate-free and alcohol-free shampoo and conditioner and/or deep conditioning mask*
Soft bristle brush/wide tooth comb
Hair tie (optional)
Shower cap/plastic bag (optional)
* Shampoo and conditioner that are NOT sulfate and alcohol free will dry the hair out
1. Shampooing Method
- Step 1: First, brush your extensions from top to bottom to get rid of any tangles and knots.
- Step 2: Fill a basin or a bucket with lukewarm water.
- Step 3: Squirt a small amount of shampoo into the water.
- Step 4: Hold the top of the extensions where the clips are located and dunk the hair into the water. If your clips get wet, don’t panic. Your extensions are waterproof!
- Step 5: Gently work the diluted shampoo into the hair from top to bottom with your fingers to avoid tangling the hair.
- Step 6: Lay each weft flat on a dry towel.
Tip: Arrange from biggest to smallest to keep things nice and tidy.
2. Conditioning Method
- Step 1: Apply a fair amount of conditioner directly onto the hair from top to bottom.
- Step 2: For ultimate care and protection, use a deep conditioning treatment for 2-4 hours or overnight and place your extensions in a shower cap for extra insulation.
- Step 3: Thoroughly rinse out the conditioner by gently running your fingers through the hair.
- Step 4: Lock in moisture with a splash of cold water that will close the hair cuticles.
- Step 5: Air dry the extensions by laying the wefts out on a flat surface or if you choose to blow dry them, remember to use heat protectant spray.