As their name suggests, sew-in hair extensions are sewn into your hair to make sure that they don’t fall away. Stitching the extensions is one of the best ways to make sure the extensions don’t go loose!
Sew-in hair extensions are becoming pretty popular among celebrities and fashion enthusiasts alike. They have gained popularity owing to their many advantages, which are discussed below.
Do you want to increase your hair length or volume overnight? If so, extensions are the right choice for you! However, deciding what kind of extensions you want is a decision that you should make after carefully considering all of your options.
Today, we will discuss the pros and cons of sew-in hair extensions. Keep reading and then decide for yourself whether these hair extensions are suitable for you!
How are Sew-In Hair Extensions Installed
Sew-in hair extensions should always be installed by a professional because these hair extensions require a lot of time and the process is also pretty complicated and draining.
First, the hairstylist will section your hair into portion. Next, she will braid each portion of hair near the roots. Braiding should be done carefully because if the braids are too tight, it will be uncomfortable for you and you might even get headaches. On the other hand, if the braids are too loose, the hair extensions will become loose. The hair needs to be braided correctly and only a professional can do that.
After that, your hairstylist will install the hair extensions by sewing the hair extensions using a weave pattern. The hair extensions are sewn in rows, and a full-head coverage will require about 3 to 5 rows of hair extensions. Usually, one pack of hair extensions is enough for a full-head coverage but if you’re going for long hair extensions, you’ll need two packs of hair extensions.
This process can take about 4 to 5 hours and it’s pretty tiring and draining. It’s best to leave this up to a professional hairdresser who is certified in installing these hair extensions! The hair extensions are considered semi-permanent because they last about 1 to 3 months.
After the installation process, you might have to go back to your hairdresser in about a few weeks to tighten your braids because they’ll get loose over time. However, the tightening process barely takes up time.
Pros of Sew-in Hair Extensions
Sew-in hair extensions are literally sewn into your hair to make sure that they don’t fall out, which means they’re permanent hair extensions. Here are some pros of sew-in hair extensions:
- They’re not expensive at all! Compared to other types of permanent hair extensions, sew-in hair extensions are the cheapest type! It’s no secret that hair extensions can often cost you an arm and a leg, but when it comes to sew-in hair extensions, they’re pretty affordable and inexpensive. This is one of the reasons they’ve become immensely popular with teenagers and adults!
- They’re one of the best permanent hair extensions that can be worn on short hair as well. Other types of hair extensions are not suitable for short hair because their roots can become visible pretty easily. However, sew-in hair extensions work pretty well on short hair because the sewing in makes the bond of your natural hair with the hair extensions strong, so the roots aren’t visible and the extensions don’t slide away. Other types of hair extensions like micro-loop hair extensions aren’t suitable for short hair because the roots of the extensions can get visible.
In sew-in hair extensions, a color of thread same as that of your hair is used to sew the extensions. Therefore, the extension roots aren’t visible so you can easily get these installed if you have short hair.
- Sew-in hair extensions are literally sewn into your natural hair, so you don’t have to worry about the extensions slipping or sliding away. Moreover, the bond between your hair extensions and your natural hair won’t get loose either because there is a physical stitch to keep the extensions in place. This means that the hair extensions are pretty secure and reliable.
- These hair extensions are the most suitable hair extensions for thick hair. Thick hair can easily take the stitch that’s required in the installation of these hair extensions.
- No glue is required during the installation of these hair extensions. This means that these hair extensions do not damage your hair during the installation process! Other types of hair extensions like tape-in hair extensions require tape, which contains glue. The glue has many chemicals added to it that can damage hair, making your natural hair look dull. Therefore, if you’re looking for extensions that are free of chemicals, you should choose these.
- No heat is required during the installation of these hair extensions. Other types of hair extensions may require heat during the installation process, which greatly damages and dries out your natural hair. However, since these are sew-in hair extensions, they don’t require any heat for bonding the extensions. You just need to go to an experienced hairdresser to get these extensions stitched in! That’s great news because a lot of the other types of hair extensions like tape-in hair extensions damage your hair during the installation process.
- Sew-in hair extensions give a very natural and flawless look. Since the hair extensions are directly sewn into your hair using a thread of the same color as your hair, the thread becomes camouflaged and the roots of these hair extensions cannot be seen. In other types of hair extensions, visible roots may be seen. However, sew-in hair extensions are pretty discreet. One of the two things that hair extensions companies are constantly trying to improve is the discreetness of the hair extensions so that they look natural. No one will be able to tell that you’re wearing hair extensions if you get sew-in hair extensions!
- Sew-in hair extensions will allow you to have any look that you want! A lot of hairstyles require adequate volume and length, which a lot of people don’t have. Therefore, these hair extensions allow you to explore new hairstyles that you never thought you could pull off! They enhance your natural hair and give you more length and volume so that you can try out new hairstyles.
- Sew-in hair extensions come in a wide variety of colors and lengths so that you can choose whatever color you want your hair to be. This way, you can also test if a new hair color would look good on you. Testing a new hair color by dyeing your hair is a lot riskier than it is by installing hair extensions. You can always get them removed if you don’t like the color, which we cannot say about your natural hair. Therefore, with sew-in hair extensions, you get to try new hairstyles and colors, without the added commitment! How great is that?
- Sew-in hair extensions are low-maintenance hair extensions and therefore, they’re perfect for those ladies who are always on the go! Some ladies have very demanding jobs and long working hours that require them to be available all the time. This would make it difficult for these ladies to take out some time every day to style their hair. This is where sew-in hair extensions come into play!
With sew-in hair extensions, you don’t need to spend an enormous amount of time styling your hair every day! You can just style them once and wear the look for a few days without getting your natural hair caught up in the process. This means you won’t get late to college or to your job anymore because of your hair. Moreover, you’ll never get any bad hair days because your hair is always going to be on point!
- Sew-in Hair extensions are also pretty easy to remove. Although the removal process does require some care, so as to not cut your own natural hair, you can do it at home. Just a few tips and tricks, and you’ll be good to go without these hair extensions! This means you won’t have to visit your hairdresser to get these hair extensions removed. That should be a relief for a lot of people, in case they were wondering whether the hairdresser would charge them for the removal process! You just need to be careful and have good eyesight!
These are some pros of buying sew-in hair extensions, which are some of the most popular hair extensions. Make sure you get high quality to sew in hair extensions so that the hair looks natural and shiny instead of dull and fake. If you’re looking for high quality sew in hair extensions, then you should try USA Hair’s amazing sew-in extensions that are made of 100% genuine hair. The quality is amazing and the price is reasonable too!
Cons of Sew-in Hair Extensions
While there are many advantages of sew-in hair extensions, there are many cons to these extensions too, which is why you should carefully consider your options before getting these hair extensions. Here are a few cons of sew-in hair extensions:
- The application process is long and tiring, and you cannot apply these hair extensions yourself. You need to go to a professional and certified hairdresser who has experience with these hair extensions. Don’t just go to any hairdresser, go to an experienced and certified one. Otherwise, she might ruin your hair extension experience!
That being said, it’s also very hard to find a hairdresser who installs sew-in hair extensions. The process of installing these hair extensions is pretty lengthy and tiring, which is why a lot of them don’t even offer the option of installing these hair extensions. It can take about 4 to 5 hours to install these hair extensions, even by a professional! On the other hand, tape-in hair extensions take only about an hour to install. This is why hairdressers prefer installing other types of tape-in hair extensions. It greatly saves time. Moreover, sew-in hair extensions are usually installed for a much lower rate, which is why hairdressers see it as a waste of their time. In fact, it’s quite possible that there is no hairdresser in your city who installs these extensions if you live in a small city or town.
Therefore, it’s recommended that before you buy these hair extensions, you first find a hairdresser who’s experienced enough with these hair extensions to install them.
- Sew-in hair extensions are not suitable for those who have thin hair. The hair needs to be braided near the roots and then the extensions need to be sewn in, which is why these extensions can weigh your hair down if you have thin hair. They can also greatly damage your hair if it’s thin. Therefore, if you have thin hair, you should look into buying other types of hair extensions. After all, you don’t want your thin hair to get damaged and break apart, do you?
- If the hair extensions are sewn in too tight, they might pull on your natural hair, resulting in pain and even headaches in some cases. Therefore, it’s very important that the person who’s applying the hair extensions is highly experienced. This way, you won’t have to face such issues.
The installation process requires that braid be tied and that the extensions are sewn in. The whole process may become too much for your head to bear, resulting in headaches. If you face such issues, you should immediately go to your hairdresser and tell them to fix the issue.
- Washing and cleaning sew-in hair extensions is pretty hard. Since your natural hair remains braided during the time that the hair extensions are on, a lot of bacteria and build-up from products can accumulate in the braids, causing a lot of discomforts and sometimes, an infection may arise as well. Therefore, you need to wash your hair regularly and you need to spend a good amount of time washing it to make sure that the shampoo penetrates the braid and reaches the scalp to get every bit of dirt or product build-up.
- They’re not very long-lasting. Usually, they last only about 1 to 3 months, depending on the quality of the hair extensions as well as on how good you take care of them.
Other types of hair extensions like fusion hair extensions can last you about half a year so if you’re getting sew-in hair extensions, be prepared to let them go after a few weeks. However, this doesn’t really have to be a disadvantage if you’re just looking for hair extensions to experiment with for a while!
These are some of the disadvantages of getting sew-in hair extensions! If the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, you should go for some other types of hair extensions that are more suited to your hair type or preferences. That being said, if you still do decide to get these hair extensions, I suggest you get them from USA Hair because it provides high-quality hair extensions that look and feel natural and flawless.
The Cost of Sew-in Hair Extensions
Earlier on, we discussed that sew-in hair extensions are pretty reasonable and cheap when compared to other types of hair extensions. So, exactly how much is “cheap”? Since everyone has a different definition of this word, let’s go on to calculate how much it would cost you to get sew-in hair extensions.
When it comes to sew-in hair extensions, usually one pack is enough for full head coverage. On the other hand, other types of hair extensions usually require a lot of packs for full-head coverage.
IF you’re getting longer hair extensions, like those of 22 inches or longer, then you should get 2 packs of hair extensions to make sure that the ends don’t lack volume.
One pack costs anywhere between $80 to $120.
Now, coming to the cost of the stylist or the hairdresser. They charge you about $20 for one row of hair extensions, and you’ll need about 3 to 5 rows installed, which means $60 to $100.
So, if you calculate the total cost, it would take anywhere from $140 to $340 to get these hair extensions, including the installation process! That is pretty less when compared to other types of hair extensions in which just the extensions themselves come for this amount and the installation charges can cost another hefty amount!
How long do sew-in hair extensions last?
Sew-in hair extensions can last anywhere from 1 month to 3 months, depending on the quality of hair that you purchase as well as how well you take care of them.
Can sew-in hair extensions damage my hair?
No, sew-in hair extensions do not cause any damage to your hair if they’re applied properly by a professional who’s well-trained.
Should I get sew-in hair extensions if I have thin hair?
No, sew-in hair extensions are not recommended if you have thin hair. The extensions might pull on your hair too tightly, which can cause discomfort and pain.
How long does it take to get sew-in hair extensions installed?
Sew-in hair extensions can take about 4 to 5 hours for the installation process to be completed by a professional.
Are sew-in hair extensions expensive?
No, sew-in hair extensions are pretty cost-friendly and it can cost you anywhere from $140 to $340 to get sew-in hair extensions, including the installation charges. The actual amount varies and depends on what brand you choose and which salon you choose to get your hair extensions installed.
Do sew-in hair extensions cause discomfort?
If properly applied, sew-in hair extensions do not cause discomfort. However, if the braids are tied too tight, the extensions might cause scalp ache as well as headaches.
Where Should I Buy Sew-in Hair Extensions from?
Hair extensions are becoming pretty popular among teens and adults alike, which is why the competition in the hair extension markets is at an all-time high. More and more companies are trying to make their hair extensions better and more cost-effective.
That being said, I believe that USA Hair provides some of the best hair extensions!
Why Should I Buy Hair Extensions from USA Hair?
USA Hair is indeed one of the best places to get your hair extensions from. Here are a few reasons to choose USA Hair for your hair extensions:
- High-quality hair: The hair extensions provided by USA Hair are all of the very high quality and they guarantee your satisfaction. All of the hair strands are made of 100% genuine hair, which is why they look so flawlessly natural. They’ll also blend pretty well with your natural hair!
- Reasonable prices: USA Hair has one of the best prices for quality, which is why it’s always a good experience buying from them! Some high-end brands can charge you a lot for high quality but with USA Hair, you get high quality for a pretty reasonable price!
- Wide variety: From tape-in hair extensions to sew-in hair extensions, you’ll get any type of hair extension that you want with USA Hair! They also have a wide variety of colors for you to choose from so that you can find the best hair extensions for your hair.
So, what are you waiting for? Shop for your hair extensions from USA Hair! If you live in the United States, shipping charges will also be pretty less for you!
We hope you’ve made your decision by now on whether or not to get these hair extensions. If you have any more queries about these hair extensions, you can always message us or contact us on our numbers. That being said, we hope you have a great experience with your hair extensions! After all, life is too short not to experiment with your hair and experimenting with your hair will only help you fall in love with yourself more!
Try out sew-in hair extensions if they look like suitable ones for you! They’re pretty popular these days and you can get them for a pretty reasonable price!